Through their participation in the Job Shadow program, host professionals are able to establish their companies' brands with future recruits and help students jump-start their transition from classroom to career.
The program also provides an opportunity for alumni to reconnect with the college and invest in the next generation of Lundquist College undergraduates.
Contact Us to Host a Student
What Are the Benefits of Participating?
- Develop a pipeline of talent by connecting with promising business students early in their academic programs
- Brand your company, and introduce its careers, culture and industry to students in the Lundquist College of Business
- Influence students’ studies to better match the skills you seek in successful employees
What Are My Responsibilities?
- Complete a brief registration form in advance to enroll in the program
- Plan a schedule of activities for the job shadow day
- Host one or several students for a full day
- Complete a brief evaluation of the program and the students after the job shadow day
How Do I Join the Program?
Job shadow host registration begins approximately three months before the next job shadow dates and closes two months before the job shadow dates. Before registering, you will want to consider these items:
- Prepare a brief description of your company and the job shadow opportunity you are offering students.
- Decide how many students you can host. By hosting just one or very few students, you can ensure a more personal connection with the job shadow students.
- Determine the date(s) and the start and end time(s) of your job shadow day(s). We ask hosts to plan for a full job shadow day of at least six hours.
- Consider which departments and/or business function(s) (accounting, finance, marketing, management, computer information systems, and so forth) students will observe when they shadow you.
- Review your organization’s policies regarding the presence of a student in the workplace.
- Begin thinking about your job shadow day schedule.
- Consider details regarding parking, arrival and other special considerations related to the job shadow day.
Contact Us to Host a Student
Job shadow hosts that have registered in a previous term will be contacted prior to each new term with the opportunity to update their registration information and select job shadow dates for the upcoming term.
How Does the Program Work?
- Professionals interested in hosting students submit a simple registration form
- Students apply to participate in the job shadow program and, if accepted, review the list of job shadow opportunities and indicate their preferred opportunities
- Lundquist College staff match students with job shadow hosts and prepare students for the job shadow visit
- Students research their host company in advance and come prepared with specific questions
- Job shadow hosts receive a brief profile and contact information for each student with whom they have been matched
- Job Shadow program staff are available to assist in designing the job shadow day
- Students are responsible for all of their expenses (for example, travel, meals, and accommodation)
- For more details, please consult the FAQ page
What Happens During the Job Shadow Day?
Most of all, students want to get a sense of what it’s like to have your job. While the format and schedule of the job shadow day will vary between companies, ultimately, the day should provide participating students with an overview of your industry, a realistic view of the everyday aspects of your career(s), and some understanding of what is necessary to work in your field.
Lundquist College staff members are available to help you design a day that best showcases your company. Sample schedules (PDF) are available for you to copy or adapt. Some options include:
- Invite the student(s) to observe individual employees over the course of their daily schedules
- Provide opportunities for students to conduct informational interviews with employees
- Schedule meetings with the President, CEO, department heads or other individuals who can give a broad perspective of the company
- Schedule an informal lunch with recent hires and/or Lundquist College alumni
- Provide a tour of the company
- Discuss the organizational chart, company culture and work environment