Declared pre-business majors must complete the current requirements below as well as the pre-business core prior to applying to the Lundquist College of Business for full major status.
Declare or Drop Pre-Business Major (Current UO Students Only)
Watch Tutorial: How to Change Your Major to Pre-Business
Pre-Business students can gain admission to the full major through one of two pathways:
Automatic Admission: Students who achieve a 3.0 cumulative GPA (including their transfer work) as well as a 3.0 in their pre-business core will qualify for automatic admission, pending successful completion of the online application.
Holistic Review: In addition to a demonstrated strong academic record, students can showcase strength in the holistic review criteria by submitting essays, transcripts, and a resume. Students who believe they represent the holistic standards outlined below must submit an application to compete for admission.
- View Holistic Review Criteria
- Watch Video Tutorial: How to Change Your Major to Pre-Business
- Complete 90 credits
- 3.0 Cumulative G.P.A (includes transfer coursework)
- C- or better in all pre-business requirements
- All pre-business courses must be taken for a letter grade
- WR 121 and 122 or 123 Writing Composition
- MATH 241, 242 Business Calculus - Math 251 & 252 can substitute
- MATH 243 Business Statistics - PSY 302 can substitute
- BA 240 Managing Business Information (formerly DSC 240; sophomore standing required to enroll)
- International Students must meet English language proficiency requirements (575 - PBT, 89 - IBT TOEFL, 7.0 IELTS, or completion of AEIS) and writing courses as outlined above.
Students admitted to the University of Oregon are required to take their pre-business core courses at the UO from their first term of enrollment. Pre-business core courses taken elsewhere prior to admission to the UO can count toward admission requirements for the business and accounting majors.
- A 3.0 GPA is required in the business core.
- BA 101
- ECON 201 & 202
- ACTG 211 & 213 Financial and Managerial Accounting (sophomore standing required to enroll)
- Core Courses may only be repeated once
Note on General Education Requirements
University general education requirements do not need to be completed before admission to the Lundquist College of Business, but it is strongly advised that students finish as much general university coursework as possible in the first two years. For a full list of general education requirements, see the university catalog.
Note on UO Course Repeat Policy
Courses may only be repeated once if students earned a No Pass or earned a C- or less in a course. For more information, please visit the registrar’s website.
If you have questions about any of the requirements, please meet with an advisor.
Meet with an Advisor