The finance and securities analysis specialization ensures that every student receives a solid foundation in the concepts and skills that are essential regardless of what career they want to pursue.
With opportunities and programming organized by the Cameron Center for Finance and Securities Analysis, students focusing on this specialization receive the comprehensive knowledge and applied experience necessary to lead in the global economy.
What You'll Learn
Through the core coursework and elective classes in the MBA, students acquire the understanding and skills needed to ace the CFA exam and take the next step in a career in finance.
- Dive into live equity investing and gain valuable portfolio management experience via the Masters Investment Group.
- Explore valuation techniques that are applicable to any investment opportunity, from company assessment to project financing.
- Master the key elements of financial reporting: financial statement analysis, fixed income securities, derivative instruments, and risk management.
- Explore electives and hone skills in focused areas, including alternative investments, wealth management, commercial banking, and impact investing.
Where You'll Go
- Visit financial hubs across the nation to meet with top companies like Bloomberg, Barclays, and Cantor Fitzgerald in New York City and British Petroleum, Chicago Mercantile Exchange, and Morningstar in Chicago.
- Get a taste of international business during a global study tour across the pond. Past sites have included London, Paris, Beijing, Hong Kong, and more.
- Compete against other finance students while gaining valuable experience pitching your ideas in competitions like the CFA Institute Research Challenge.
Who You'll Meet
The Lundquist network is your most valuable asset. Connect with alumni and friends of the program who are willing to offer a helping hand. Graduates of our program can be found in influential roles in some of the most noteworthy financial institutions, such as:
- Intel Corporation
- Bloomberg LP
- M Science
- D.A. Davidson Companies
To accompany classroom learning, the finance specialization provides numerous opportunities to connect with guest speakers eager to offer their knowledge on such topics as empirical corporate finance, mutual fund analysis, and corporate tax accounting.
What You'll Do
The best learning is doing. Here at UO, you'll get the opportunity to test your knowledge in real time, managing more than $1.2 million in equity assets via the UO Master's Investment Group and Emerging Market Equity Portfolio.
Students have also landed spots in elite internships programs during the summer between their first and second years, including stints at Intel and D.A. Davidson Companies.
Career opportunities in the financial sector are endless, and most of our students secure jobs before graduation. Alumni work in influential roles within a variety of financial roles, including:
- Equity research
- Corporate finance
- Wealth management
- Investment banking
- Commercial banking