Students working on their lower-division coursework before applying to the business or accounting majors are considered pre-business majors.
Current UO students may change their major to pre-business any time during their time as undergraduates.
Declare or Drop Pre-Business Major
Watch Tutorial: How to Change Your Major to Pre-Business
Students who wish to major in business or accounting must meet the requirements below, complete lower division coursework, and complete a separate application to the major around the time they complete 90 credits.
- Complete 90 credits
- Earn 3.0 cumulative GPA (includes both UO and transfer coursework)
- All requirements listed below must be taken for a letter grade; students must attain a minimum of C- or better.
- Supporting coursework:
- WR 121 and 122 or 123: Writing Composition
- MATH 241: Business Calculus (Math 251 can substitute)
- MATH 243: Introduction to Probability and Statistics (PSY 302 can substitute)
- BA 240: Managing Business Information (formerly DSC 240; sophomore standing required to enroll)
- International students only: AEIS courses or English language proficiency test score (PBT 575; IBT TOEFL: 89; IELTS: 7.0)
- Lower division core courses (3.0 GPA required):
- BA 101: Introduction to Business
- ECON 201: Micro Economics
- ECON 202: Macro Economics
- ACTG 211: Financial Accounting (sophomore standing required to enroll)
- ACTG 213: Managerial Accounting (sophomore standing required to enroll)
A 3.0 cumulative GPA and a 3.0 lower division business core GPA. For information on applying to the major without having met the GPA requirement, read more about admission by holistic review.
Read More About Holistic Review
The UO prohibits retaking courses in which a C or P or better has been previously earned. A petition process is available. The Lundquist College further limits the repeating of lower division core courses to one time (including marks of W,N,F,D,C-). For more information, please visit the registrar’s website.
Visit the Registrar's Site
General Education Requirements
University general education requirements do not need to be completed before admission to the Lundquist College of Business, but it is strongly advised that students finish as much general university coursework as possible in the first two years. For a full list of general education requirements, see the university catalog.
View University Catalog
Apply to the Major
Current University of Oregon pre-business majors can gain admission to the full business or accounting major through one of two ways:
Standard Admission: Students who achieve a 3.0 cumulative GPA (including their transfer work) as well as a 3.0 in their lower division core will qualify for guaranteed admission, pending successful completion of the online application (essays, cover letter, resume, transcripts).
Holistic Review: Students who have demonstrated a strong academic record—but do not meet the 3.0 GPA requirements—may also submit an application to compete for admission. This is a competitive selection process and students should be strategic in developing their holistic qualifications. An admissions committee thoroughly reviews applications and considers the student’s academic record, as well as their strengths in the holistic review criteria.
Apply to the Major