It has been more than 100 years since Rutherford Percival (Rudy) Boyd first began selling coffee, tea, and spices from a red, horse-drawn wagon in Portland, Oregon. Since then, Boyd Coffee Company (BOYDS) has grown, and now sells an average of two million cups of coffee each day.
Today, brothers Dick and David Boyd '63, Rudy's grandsons, share the titles of chief executive officer and president of Boyd Coffee Company. As the third generation of the family to take the helm of the business, they are carrying forth the passion for coffee and quality runs deep in the Boyd family. They also continue to advance the innovation in the coffee business.
BOYDS innovations include:
- First to loan brewing equipment to its food service customers
- First to use paper filters in its food service coffee makers
- Invented the first home brewer approved by the Coffee Brewing Institute
- Invented the airpot brewing system
- Opened the first specialty coffee shop in 1964
- First U.S. roaster with national distribution with certified organic audit trails from tree to cup for its organic coffees.
- Dick and Dave have also helped spearhead innovation in business education. They have been longtime supporters of the college, contributing among other programs to the Lillis Business Complex.
When the building opened in 2003, Dick Boyd explained that "We believe the programs offered by the Lundquist College will be enhanced tremendously as a result of the new business complex. The new facility will enhance the quality of education with state-of-the-art equipment and an outstanding learning environment. We're excited about contributing to a program that will benefit current Ducks and future generations of Ducks."
Today, BOYDS is still the Pacific Northwest's authentic coffee company, employing more than 450 people and importing coffee, tea, and coffee equipment from Latin America, Africa, Asia, and Europe. Under the leadership of David and Dick Boyd, BOYDS has been named one of Oregon's top 100 companies to work for, advancing a company credo of "corporate integrity; quality products; best customer service; respect for and pride in its fellow employees; and a contribution to a better community."