The 14th Annual Women In Business Gala held April 11 at the Ford Alumni Center again paired students with professionals for a night of networking, an industry panel, and dinner.
“The Annual Gala is arguably our most impactful event to allow for inspiration and creation and advancing our mission to inspire, lead, and create,” said Ally Dorst, president of the student-run Women in Business club at the University of Oregon’s Lundquist College of Business.
“It was remarkable to see the engaging conversations and connections taking place across the ballroom between 72 professionals and 72 students. For this generation of emerging leaders, the gala gives them the opportunity to grow and honor Oregon’s motto: Ails Volat Propriis—‘She flies with her own wings.’”
The industry panel this year focused on the risks and rewards of various career paths:
- Michele Zimba, president, cofounder, and COO of local startup Nulia—which helps people to best use software and digital technologies—said there is a place in technology for everyone.
- Angela Montoya ’89, senior finance manager at Levi Strauss & Co., provided insights into accounting and taxation acquired during her 26 years as a CPA.
- Maggie Helm described how her 15 years managing business goals, client relationships, and employees—most recently with ESPN-espnW—led her to her current role at Helm Coaching and Consulting.
Company sponsor attendees included:
- E&J Gallo
- Fisher Investments
- Jones and Roth
- Levi Strauss
- Lundquist School of Accounting
- Moss Adams
- Oregon Community Credit Union
- Sherwin Williams
—AnneMarie Knepper-Sjoblom ’05