Presented by the University of Oregon's Lundquist Center for Entrepreneurship, the Oregon New Venture Championship (NVC) is one of the original and most highly-regarded six-round graduate student business competitions. NVC strives to develop skilled and knowledgeable entrepreneurial leaders. Its core mission is to educate, inspire, and empower future entrepreneurs. After three days of competition, the 27th New Venture Championship is pleased to announce its winners.
The 2018 New Venture Champion and winner of the Reinmuth Cup is Lapovations, LLC from the University of Arkansas. They will receive $20,000 to launch their venture. Lapovations is a medical device company focused on creating a platform for innovative products to improve laparoscopy. Their first product, AbGrab®, is an FDA Class I, patent-pending, single-use medical device that uses suction to attach to and lift the abdominal wall more reliably and less invasively than current lifting methods.
Fresh2Joy Co., Ltd. from Sasin Graduate Institute of Business Administration placed second and will receive $10,000 for their endeavor. Fresh2Joy was established with the vision of developing a 100% natural, innovative fruit treatment that reduces major waste issues from spoilage for all stakeholders in the supply chain.
In addition to the grand prizes, Exodus Biosciences from the University of Kansas and Mechanodontics from University of California, Los Angeles each received $2,500 as finalist runners up.
NVC judges also awarded additional prizes to the following groups:
- Best Elevator Pitch ($1,500): Lapovations, LLC, University of Arkansas
- Best at Trade Show ($1,500): YIMBY, Portland State University
- Best Written Business Plan ($1,500): Fresh2Joy Co., Ltd., Sasin Graduate Institute of Business Administration
- Palo Alto Software LivePlan Award ($1,000): YIMBY, Portland State University
AECOM Sustainability Round:
Teams that entered the AECOM Sustainability Round were asked to present an executive summary addressing how their venture would address environmental or social issues. The winning teams of this round are:
- First place ($3,000): Fresh2Joy Co., Ltd., Sasin Graduate Institute of Business Administration
- Second place ($1,000): Kau Bell Vodka, University of Oregon
- Runners-up ($400 each):
- Instaplan KBRT, Thammasat University
- WeavAir, Ryerson University
- YIMBY, Portland State University
Starve Ups Lightning Round:
Teams that did not qualify for the final round participated in the Starve Ups Lightning Round. Four teams won their Lightning Round track and $1,500 each. These winners include:
- MedKairos, University of Michigan
- Multivate, LLC, Oklahoma State University
- SalvePeds, University of Notre Dame
- WeavAir, Ryerson University
The remaining teams were awarded $750 each as Lightning Round runners-up.
Frontier Management Undergraduate Competition:
Current undergraduate students of Oregon 4-year universities took part in the Frontier Management Undergraduate Competition on Friday, April 20. The winners are:
- First place ($2,000): Produce Mate, University of Portland
- Second place ($1,250): ShoeBio Inc., Oregon State University
- Third place ($750): Seiji's Bridge, Portland State University
All other teams received $250 each for participating.
High School Competition:
Through collaboration with TiE Young Entrepreneurs Oregon (TYE) and Young Entrepreneurs Business Week (YEBW), a pitch competition was held for high school students on Saturday, April 21. The following students were awarded scholarships to either the University of Oregon, the University of Portland, or Portland State University:
- First place ($1,250): Summer App (TYE participant)
- Second place ($750): Cap Shirt (YEBW participant)
- Runners Up ($500 each):
- Concussie (YEBW participant)
- Flame (TYE participant)
- Topknot (YEBW participant)
On behalf of the participants, faculty advisors, and staff of the 2018 New Venture Championship, we would like to express a heartfelt thank you to all of our sponsors and judges. Without you, NVC truly would not be possible, and we are tremendously grateful for your support.
View the full list of semifinalists