Previous Academic Positions
- Visiting Scholar, Stanford University, 2012
- Lecturer, Stanford University, 2007-2008
Professional Leadership Positions
- Editorial Board Member: Academy of Management Journal, Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, Innovation: Organization & Management
- Stanford Technology Ventures Program advisory board, 2015-present
- UO University Venture Development Fund board member, 2015-present
- UO Vice President for Research and Innovation advisory board 2012-present
Andrew Nelson is an associate professor of management and the academic director of the Lundquist Center for Entrepreneurship at the University of Oregon's Lundquist College of Business. He also serves as the university's associate vice president for entrepreneurship and innovation. Andrew received his PhD in management science and engineering from Stanford University, where he subsequently served as a lecturer. He also holds an MS (with distinction) from Oxford University and a BA (with honors and distinction) from Stanford.
Andrew's research explores the development and commercialization of technological innovations. His ongoing research projects focus on the fields of digital music, information technology, green (sustainable) chemistry, and biotechnology. Among other outlets, his work appears in the Academy of Management Journal, Research Policy, Organization Science and in his book, The Sound of Innovation: Stanford and the Computer Music Revolution (MIT Press, 2015). His research has received awards from the Academy of Management, the Industry Studies Association, and the Kauffman Foundation. Andrew also serves on the editorial boards of the Academy of Management Journal and the Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal.
An award-winning teacher, Andrew leads undergraduate, MBA, PhD and executive education courses in entrepreneurship and in organization theory. With Tom Byers (Stanford University) and Dick Dorf (University of California, Davis), he is the author of Technology Ventures: From Idea to Enterprise (McGraw-Hill), now in its 4th edition and used in entrepreneurship courses worldwide.